Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mm Mm good!

Now that I feel super poor and am applying for part-time jobs and collecting my pennies again (who am I kidding..I hate pennies.!), I feel inclined to post an update. Since I've gotten a semi-job, I haven't felt worthy..but I'm back. Here I am! Helloooo. Just paid this months bills and realize that something needs to be done. We've spent the last week "living it up." Eating fancy breakfast at restaurants and hitting up the Jewel Osco for midnight snacks. It's definetely time to get back on track.


Mat and I went grocery shopping last night. Since we have been on a sandwich kick, we hit up Whole Foods, due to our snobbiness and desire for Tofurky cold cuts and Almond cheese. We love sandwiches. Spent too much money, but have enough food for awhile.


I did make a pot of soup for the week. Nothing special. Used 32oz of Veggie Broth, 2 cans of Cannelinni Beans, chopped carrots, celery, a cup or 2 of frozen corn and about 8 small white potatoes. Seasoned with salt, pepper, Bay leaf, parsley and a few squeezes of a lemon. Mom suggested using a potato masher at the end to break the potatoes and beans up to make it thick!.. Thanks Mom. All of the starch thickened it up over-night.



Soup and Sandwiches! Yummmmmy Fall Food.

3 comments:

  1. You CAN shop at Whole Foods Market and do not have to be a snob to go there. Let's smash those misconceptions.
    If you solely purchase 365 products you can actually get out of there for cheaper than some conventional grocers.
    Don't eat out as much, let it be a special thing, once a week or two meals a week.
    Visit free places in the city and pack your own lunch. I am sure between me and Angela we can fill you with a tremendous amount of info. on living on a tight budget.
    Love you - keep your head up!
    XO - Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. not snobby..just pickY! we had debated between Whole Foods and Jewel Osco, but we realized that Jewel only has the Gimmie Lean and Morning Star Veggie Foods and we prefer Boca and Tofurky! Thats all!! =) I LOVeeeeeeeeeeee WFM!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeeLee,
    This soup looks tasty, good job! I love WFM too because they are the only store in town that carries a few things I need like soy butter and organic meats that taste good and are reasonably priced. I am a coupon shopper though. So look for coupons and stock up on stuff that goes on sale when it does. I stick everything in the freezer: bread, cheese, meat and then I always have something on hand and cheaper than when I run out and have to run to the store for one item.
    Good luck with the budget and bargain shopping,
    A
    P.S. Do they have a Big Lots or Rainbow Grocery Outlet or any bargain store there? I scan those places for beans or soups. Sometimes they have organic stuff for pennies.

    ReplyDelete