Monday, September 28, 2009

Didn't eat enough sandwiches this week?

Make croutons!

Had some bread left over from last week's pasta dinner and thought I would make croutons. The bread was a little old and wouldn't even slice-just a huge crumby mess all over the counter. I realized that I had about 4 slices and a heel of soft-sandwich bread in the fridge from well before Mat even arrived. Dad usually made his croutons out of an unused baguette or "day old" bread from the bakery, but I thought I would give this a shot. I wasn't sure how it would work out due to the softness, gluten-level, moisture-content, air, whole-grain business that this store-bought bread consumed, but I gave it a go anyway. I sliced them into cubes, tossed them in olive oil, sprinkled "italian seasoning," salt and pepper on top and popped them in the oven at about 300 degrees (just as Dad suggested!) Stirred them around a few times and waited till they browned. I also sprinkled a tiny bit of parm on top, then threw them in a container. There they will sit waiting for a beautiful salad later in the week!

1 comment:

  1. Yum, that is going to be a good salad. I am so pissed, I have like 3/4 of a baguette that I forgot about in the oven last week. The only thing it was good for when I discovered it was hitting baseballs. It was THAT hard!
    -Kater

    ReplyDelete