Thursday, January 14, 2010

Welcome to my new world.

I started my Internship today at the San Jose Obrero Mission in the Pilsen District on Chicago's slightly-south side. It is going to blow my mind.. Below is a News piece they did before the holidays, which gives an idea of what goes on there. Since Jan.1st, they have taken over a Women's and Children's Interim home, which is where I will be working. Initially I was to work with the men and was nervous about that. Now that I have wrapped my head around that task, I will, instead, be working with women, my original preference. Now, I am nervous to work with Women.. They bring a lot more baggage/issues with them..specifically, children and everything that entails.  I will be working with the Participants and Case Managers doing my own Case Management projects. I will also be helping put together and facilitate Life Skills classes for the Women in English and Spanish. I got to tour the new Woman's facility today and it breaks my heart. The agency that ran it before SJOM wasn't doing a good job. I got to see why.. I am hopeful that I will be able to help improve the new facilty and enjoy this eye-opening learning experience. En Español también.


Channel 7 News Report

This video talks a little bit more about Homelessness and what it really is. I've watched it three times and cried each time.

Classes actually start in a few days. More mind-blowing experiences to come!

We celebrated the arrival of my refund check and enormous box of text-books with Thai Food  and Vernors tonight! So classy!


2 comments:

  1. Breaks my heart, but think of it this way - YOU are going to be a part of the CHANGE in these people and that should be so motivating and exciting. You are contributing to the solution and you are unlike other people that just ignore the situation. You are going to have an impact on everyone you work with during your internship in one way or another and I am in awe of you, honestly. You are going to see some rough stuff but also are going to probably witness lots of personal triumphs in the people you are working with and within yourself. Sometimes all people need is encouragement and compassion and that is what can make them soar!
    I love you and am your BIGGEST cheerleader!
    Continue to INSPIRE, MOTIVATE and CREATE change in your community!
    XO - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better myself. Your a real inspiration and I'm proud to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete